UNA-USA Youth Leader
1. Why is the United Nations important to the world?
The mission of the UN, in short, is to prevent world war and to promote world peace. I can't think of anything more important than that.
2. How do the UN and its work affect your work or life?
My work is to teach students about the UN. I am a Model United Nations trainer and the co-founder of Best Delegate. I teach students around the world about the UN's history, organization, and work areas, and I help them organization simulations of UN committees and related organizations.
3. Why should Americans care about the UNâ€™s work?
A stronger UN means a safer America. If America is to continue being a world leader, then we must demonstrate leadership at the UN.
4. In your opinion, what has been the UNâ€™s best moment to date?
Eradication of smallpox is up there, along with the creation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
5. What do you think is the most exciting opportunity for the UN going forward?
What to do with the Millennium Development Goals after 2015.
6. What is the most effective element of UNA-USAâ€™s work?
I volunteered for Global Classrooms conferences for years and I continue to attend the conferences as part of my job. It not only teaches students about the UN; Global Classrooms gets young people excited and motivated to make a difference in the world.