UNA-USA National Council
The National Council of UNA-USA operates as the elected volunteer leadership of the United Nations Association of the United States of America (UNA-USA), a program of the United Nations Foundation. It consists of representatives elected by and from the membership from each of the twelve regions around the country and is the democratic voice of the UNA membership in making decisions for UNA-USA.
Functions of the National Council
- To serve in an advisory capacity to the Executive Director and the national office on matters;
- To assist the national office in the development of policies, programs, and methods of concern to the Chapters, Divisions, Regions, and members of UNA-USA; communication among the membership, as well as other national and international organizations;
- To assist Chapters and Divisions in strengthening their effectiveness and compliance with national objectives, standards, policies, procedures, and in helping to resolve any dispute within a Chapter or Division; and to reflect the interests and needs of Chapters, Divisions and members as requested by the national office;
- To consult with the national office regarding the establishment of policies affecting Regions, Divisions, and Chapters, including terms of affiliation with UNA-USA, membership dues, and these Standard Operating Procedures; Annual Meeting of the National Council;
- To assist national staff in setting the agenda of the UNA-USA Leadership Summit and;
- To promote UNA-USA membership, advocacy, educational programs and campaigns.
National Council Operations
The National Council, elected by the chapters and membership-at-large, consists of slightly more than 30 people: two, three, or four representatives elected from each region, based on the membership of the region and consistent with standard operating procedures. The National Council meets twice a year: once during the June Leadership Summit, and once between annual meetings in late fall or winter. Its working groups and committees conduct business year-round by various modes, such as email and conference call, in preparation for their semi-annual meetings. In addition to advising the Executive Director and UNA staff, the National Council works on issues of program development, membership, legislative advocacy, web and social media, external communications, education, WFUNA, and partnership initiatives.
National Council Leadership and Governance Structure
The National Council is governed by a chair, vice chair, and secretary elected from its membership, upon nomination by the Nomination Committee and confirmation by the membership at the UNA-USA Annual Meeting during the Leadership Summit. Those officers constitute the Executive Committee. Officers are elected to a two-year term and are eligible for re-election to an additional two-year term.
The Executive Committee of UNA-USA for 2016-2018 is the following:
Hon. Teta Banks Ralph "RJ" Johnson Rashida Haveliwala
Chair Vice Chair Secretary
The Chair appoints the leadership of each of the National Council Committees, who along with the officers form the Coordinating Committee. The membership of each committee consists of members of the National Council as well as general members of UNA who have an interest and expertise in that committee’s work. The following committees are active for the 2016-2018 term: Advocacy, Chapter Development, Communications, Education, Nominating, Policies and Procedure, WFUNA, and Youth Engagement. Ad-hoc committees are appointed to carry out the function of various events and initiatives as needed.
National Council Documents and Information