Inside Look: Alpha Kappa Alpha’s Partnership with UNA-USA
In support of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc® (AKA) Launching New Dimensions of Service ℠ (LNDS) Target V: Global Impact, the sorority has partnered with UNA-USA to empower local chapters of the sorority to bring UN-centered educational programming to all 10 geographical regions of AKA and engage at least 10,000 local high schools and surrounding communities.
Our more than 400 undergraduate chapters have taken ownership of their responsibility to learn and lead in the global arena. During our four-year partnership with UNA-USA, AKA undergraduates have spearheaded program implementation with a global focus. AKA undergraduates have leveraged UNA-USA partnership resources to engage the youth with the mission of United Nations and raise awareness about important global issues like human rights, refugee crises, climate change, and gender equality. Check out some of the ways AKA undergraduates have carried out our partnership activities:
- Hosted GenUN membership drives that led to the registration of more than 1,000 new GenUN members
- Represented Alpha Kappa Alpha at the 61st session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Participated in training webinars with UNA-USA and AKA to learn implementation strategies for the UNA-USA Global Classrooms Project
- Collaborated with graduate chapters to host mini Model UN simulations to more than 10,000 ASCEND℠ students
- Observed UN Day on an annual basis by participating in community service projects aimed to alleviate the devastating effects of childhood hunger, hosting workshops raising awareness on global issues, and posting content regarding the social welfare of humanity and using #USAforUN on social media
- Observed World Day of Social Justice, International Women’s Day, International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination on an annual basis through social media campaigns
In January 2018, UNA-USA and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.® celebrated the achievements of their four-year partnership during a recognition ceremony at the United Nation Foundation’s Headquarters in Washington, D.C. Five undergraduate chapters were recognized for their outstanding achievements related to LNDS ℠Target V: Global Impact. Winners included Pi Chapter at Fisk University, Beta Eta chapter at the University of Michigan, Epsilon Phi chapter at University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Kappa Pi Chapter at Kansas State University, and Sigma Chi chapter at Nova Southeastern University.
This spring, AKA undergraduate chapters will be recognized by the International Undergraduate Activities Committee at regional conferences and receive a “Flourish International Impact Award” for displays of unwavering commitment to inform, inspire, and mobilize youth to support the ideals and vital work of the United Nations.