The UN Foundation is the sole owner of the information collected on the Website. We do not share your personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of UNA-USA/UN Foundation.
Personal information we collect
Generally, you are free to visit UNA-USA/UN Foundation Websites without submitting data that identifies you personally. However, we do ask you to provide some personal data for certain interactions within our Website. This data varies depending on the interaction, but may include name, address, email address, and other similar information (“Personal Information”). We do not request sensitive information such as social security numbers. If you make a donation online we do ask for your credit card number – but we do not store card numbers.
When we collect Personal Information
Below are the ways in which we collect your Personal Information through specific actions and circumstances. By choosing to participate in any of the following activities, you consent to our collection and use of your Personal Information.
- When you register for an account on the UNA-USA/UN Foundation website or any UN Foundation campaign website;
- When you sign up to receive email newsletters from us;
- When you participate in surveys;
- When you complete an advocacy activity or survey online;
- When you submit a donation online;
- When you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you request information or assistance;
- In conjunction with processing your grant applications;
- In conjunction with your employment inquiries or applications;
- When you participate with social media and peer to peer accounts involving UNA-USA/UN Foundation;
- When you participate in online communities;
- In conjunction with any verification of your account information;
- In conjunction with investigations into any activity that may violate the law or the website’s terms and conditions;
- When you communicate with us through the website;
- When you provide user-generated content on any part of the website that permits it; and
- In conjunction with any other place on the website where you knowingly volunteer personal information; and
- When you send us a donation by check or wire.
In addition, when you interact with the Website, our servers may keep an activity log that does not identify you individually (“Non-Personal Information”). Generally, we collect the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- We may collect certain demographic data such as age, gender, and five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information;
- We collect and store certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Website. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information;
- We automatically log certain usage information about your use of the Website. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view. We use this information to provide you with a more customized experience on the Website;
- We collect and store additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- We collect and store your search terms and search results.
Social media platforms
How we use your data
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Website. With your consent we may use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- For editorial purposes;
- Responding to your inquiries;
- Communicating with you about your account or transactions (including donations) with us and sending you information about features on our Website or about the Foundation;
- Communicating with you about changes to our policies;
- Sending you newsletters, mailings, and information about programs, initiatives, activities, and events by e-mail or another medium;
- Processing your employment application;
- Event or program registration;
- Optimizing or improving our programs, services, and operations;
- Research and development;
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- Advocating to decision makers on specific issues;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Website and their usage patterns; and
- Managing our organization.
How we protect your data
The UNA-USA/United Nations Foundation intend to protect the quality and integrity of your personally identifiable information. We have implemented appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures, including industry-standard encryption for transmission of credit card information, to help keep your information secure, accurate, current and complete.
If you have any concerns about the security and confidentiality of your Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Compliance with the EU GDPR data regulations
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU.
We will use reasonable efforts to securely process all personal information in line with the rights specified under the GDPR, in particular those related to the following requests:
- Access to your Personal Information;
- Correction of the Personal Information we hold;
- Deletion of your Personal Information;
- A restriction of processing of your Personal Information;
- Transfer of your Personal Information to another party; or,
- Objection to processing of your Personal Information based on the UN Foundation’s legitimate interests (or those of a third party) to use it.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if any of the following apply:
- You have any questions or requests regarding this policy;
- You would like to remove all Personal Information from our database;
- You would like to view Personal Information you shared with us;
- You would like to change your account preferences;
- You no longer wish to receive email updates from the UNA-USA/UN Foundation;
- You believe the UNA-USA/UN Foundation has erroneous or incomplete information about you; or,
- You believe a child below the age of 16 years may have submitted Personal Information without the consent of a parent or guardian.
For more information about your rights under the GDPR, please visit https://gdpr-info.eu/.
Questions and comments should be directed to email@example.com.
Several deceptive emails claiming to be from or associated with the United Nations Foundation, Kathy Calvin, Rick Parnell, Ted Turner, and Timothy Wirth are circulating on the Internet. These emails often include our logo, photos, links, or other information from our Web site.
Some emails claim the recipient has won a lottery or other prize and request detailed personal information or a payment of some kind in order to receive the winnings. Some mention other foundations and organizations based in London and the United Kingdom none of which are a part of these scams. Other emails direct recipients to Web sites that promise large returns on investments and claim a portion of returns will be donated to the foundation.
The sources and contents of these emails, websites, and accompanying materials are in no way associated with the UNA-USA/United Nations Foundation, Mr. Turner or Mr. Wirth. For your own protection, we strongly recommend not responding to emails making such claims.
The UN Foundation has reported, and will continue to report, these deceptive spam emails to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). For more information about the FTC’s efforts against deceptive spam, please visit www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/spam/report.html. For more information about the IC3, please visit www.ic3.gov/. For information on the FBI, please visit www.fbi.gov/, or contact your local FBI office.
You can also email your inquiries about scam email, letters, and phone calls to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Application collects some Personal Data from its Users.
Personal Data collected for the following purposes and using the following services:
Owner and Data Controller
Types of Data collected
Among the types of Personal Data that this Application collects, by itself or through third parties, there are: Usage Data; email address; Cookies.
Personal Data may be freely provided by the User, or, in case of Usage Data, collected automatically when using this Application.
Unless specified otherwise, all Data requested by this Application is mandatory and failure to provide this Data may make it impossible for this Application to provide its services. In cases where this Application specifically states that some Data is not mandatory, Users are free not to communicate this Data without consequences to the availability or the functioning of the Service.
Users who are uncertain about which Personal Data is mandatory are welcome to contact the Owner.
Users are responsible for any third-party Personal Data obtained, published or shared through this Application and confirm that they have the third party’s consent to provide the Data to the Owner.
Mode and place of processing the Data
Methods of processing
The Owner takes appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data.
The Data processing is carried out using computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated. In addition to the Owner, in some cases, the Data may be accessible to certain types of persons in charge, involved with the operation of this Application (administration, sales, marketing, legal, system administration) or external parties (such as third-party technical service providers, mail carriers, hosting providers, IT companies, communications agencies) appointed, if necessary, as Data Processors by the Owner. The updated list of these parties may be requested from the Owner at any time.
Legal basis of processing
The Owner may process Personal Data relating to Users if one of the following applies:
- Users have given their consent for one or more specific purposes. Note: Under some legislations the Owner may be allowed to process Personal Data until the User objects to such processing (“opt-out”), without having to rely on consent or any other of the following legal bases. This, however, does not apply, whenever the processing of Personal Data is subject to European data protection law;
- provision of Data is necessary for the performance of an agreement with the User and/or for any pre-contractual obligations thereof;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Owner is subject;
- processing is related to a task that is carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Owner;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner or by a third party.
In any case, the Owner will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of Personal Data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
The Data is processed at the Owner’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located.
Depending on the User’s location, data transfers may involve transferring the User’s Data to a country other than their own. To find out more about the place of processing of such transferred Data, Users can check the section containing details about the processing of Personal Data.
Users are also entitled to learn about the legal basis of Data transfers to a country outside the European Union or to any international organization governed by public international law or set up by two or more countries, such as the UN, and about the security measures taken by the Owner to safeguard their Data.
If any such transfer takes place, Users can find out more by checking the relevant sections of this document or inquire with the Owner using the information provided in the contact section.
Personal Data shall be processed and stored for as long as required by the purpose they have been collected for.
- Personal Data collected for purposes related to the performance of a contract between the Owner and the User shall be retained until such contract has been fully performed.
- Personal Data collected for the purposes of the Owner’s legitimate interests shall be retained as long as needed to fulfill such purposes. Users may find specific information regarding the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner within the relevant sections of this document or by contacting the Owner.
The Owner may be allowed to retain Personal Data for a longer period whenever the User has given consent to such processing, as long as such consent is not withdrawn. Furthermore, the Owner may be obliged to retain Personal Data for a longer period whenever required to do so for the performance of a legal obligation or upon order of an authority.
Once the retention period expires, Personal Data shall be deleted. Therefore, the right to access, the right to erasure, the right to rectification and the right to data portability cannot be enforced after expiration of the retention period.
The purposes of processing
The Data concerning the User is collected to allow the Owner to provide its Services, as well as for the following purposes: Platform services and hosting, Contacting the User and Analytics.
Users can find further detailed information about such purposes of processing and about the specific Personal Data used for each purpose in the respective sections of this document.
Detailed information on the processing of Personal Data
Personal Data is collected for the following purposes and using the following services:
The services contained in this section enable the Owner to monitor and analyze web traffic and can be used to keep track of User behavior.
Google Analytics (Google LLC)
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google LLC (“Google”). Google utilizes the Data collected to track and examine the use of this Application, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the Data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Personal Data collected: Cookies; Usage Data.
Contacting the User
Contact form (this Application)
By filling in the contact form with their Data, the User authorizes this Application to use these details to reply to requests for information, quotes or any other kind of request as indicated by the form’s header.
Personal Data collected: email address.
Platform services and hosting
These services have the purpose of hosting and running key components of this Application, therefore allowing the provision of this Application from within a unified platform. Such platforms provide a wide range of tools to the Owner – e.g. analytics, user registration, commenting, database management, e-commerce, payment processing – that imply the collection and handling of Personal Data.
Some of these services work through geographically distributed servers, making it difficult to determine the actual location where the Personal Data are stored.
Apple App Store (Apple Inc.)
This Application is distributed on Apple’s App Store, a platform for the distribution of mobile apps, provided by Apple Inc.
By virtue of being distributed via this app store, Apple collects basic analytics and provides reporting features that enables the Owner to view usage analytics data and measure the performance of this Application. Much of this information is processed on an opt-in basis.
Users may opt-out of this analytics feature directly through their device settings. More information on how to manage analysis settings can be found on this page.
Personal Data collected: Usage Data.
Google Play Store (Google LLC)
This Application is distributed on the Google Play Store, a platform for the distribution of mobile apps, provided by Google LLC.
By virtue of being distributed via this app store, Google collects usage and diagnostics data and share aggregate information with the Owner. Much of this information is processed on an opt-in basis.
Users may opt-out of this analytics feature directly through their device settings. More information on how to manage analysis settings can be found on this page.
Personal Data collected: Usage Data.
The rights of Users
Users may exercise certain rights regarding their Data processed by the Owner.
In particular, Users have the right to do the following:
- Withdraw their consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw consent where they have previously given their consent to the processing of their Personal Data.
- Object to processing of their Data. Users have the right to object to the processing of their Data if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent. Further details are provided in the dedicated section below.
- Access their Data. Users have the right to learn if Data is being processed by the Owner, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the processing and obtain a copy of the Data undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their Data and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Restrict the processing of their Data. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of their Data. In this case, the Owner will not process their Data for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have their Personal Data deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of their Data from the Owner.
- Receive their Data and have it transferred to another controller. Users have the right to receive their Data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the Data is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the User’s consent, on a contract which the User is part of or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
Details about the right to object to processing
Where Personal Data is processed for a public interest, in the exercise of an official authority vested in the Owner or for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Owner, Users may object to such processing by providing a ground related to their particular situation to justify the objection.
Users must know that, however, should their Personal Data be processed for direct marketing purposes, they can object to that processing at any time without providing any justification. To learn, whether the Owner is processing Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, Users may refer to the relevant sections of this document.
How to exercise these rights
Any requests to exercise User rights can be directed to the Owner through the contact details provided in this document. These requests can be exercised free of charge and will be addressed by the Owner as early as possible and always within one month.
Additional information about Data collection and processing
The User’s Personal Data may be used for legal purposes by the Owner in Court or in the stages leading to possible legal action arising from improper use of this Application or the related Services.
The User declares to be aware that the Owner may be required to reveal personal data upon request of public authorities.
Additional information about User’s Personal Data
System logs and maintenance
For operation and maintenance purposes, this Application and any third-party services may collect files that record interaction with this Application (System logs) use other Personal Data (such as the IP Address) for this purpose.
Information not contained in this policy
More details concerning the collection or processing of Personal Data may be requested from the Owner at any time. Please see the contact information at the beginning of this document.
How “Do Not Track” requests are handled
This Application does not support “Do Not Track” requests.
To determine whether any of the third-party services it uses honor the “Do Not Track” requests, please read their privacy policies.
Should the changes affect processing activities performed on the basis of the User’s consent, the Owner shall collect new consent from the User, where required.
Definitions and legal references
Personal Data (or Data)
Any information that directly, indirectly, or in connection with other information — including a personal identification number — allows for the identification or identifiability of a natural person.
Information collected automatically through this Application (or third-party services employed in this Application), which can include: the IP addresses or domain names of the computers utilized by the Users who use this Application, the URI addresses (Uniform Resource Identifier), the time of the request, the method utilized to submit the request to the server, the size of the file received in response, the numerical code indicating the status of the server’s answer (successful outcome, error, etc.), the country of origin, the features of the browser and the operating system utilized by the User, the various time details per visit (e.g., the time spent on each page within the Application) and the details about the path followed within the Application with special reference to the sequence of pages visited, and other parameters about the device operating system and/or the User’s IT environment.
The individual using this Application who, unless otherwise specified, coincides with the Data Subject.
The natural person to whom the Personal Data refers.
Data Processor (or Data Supervisor)
Data Controller (or Owner)
The natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data, including the security measures concerning the operation and use of this Application. The Data Controller, unless otherwise specified, is the Owner of this Application.
The means by which the Personal Data of the User is collected and processed.
The service provided by this Application as described in the relative terms (if available) and on this site/application.
European Union (or EU)
Unless otherwise specified, all references made within this document to the European Union include all current member states to the European Union and the European Economic Area.
Small sets of data stored in the User’s device.
This privacy statement has been prepared based on provisions of multiple legislations, including Art. 13/14 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation).