What We’re Talking About This Month: September 2020
The UN General Assembly
In September, all eyes are on the 75th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), held under the theme of “The future we want, the United Nations we need: reaffirming our collective commitment to multilateralism – confronting COVID-19 through effective multilateral action.” This year’s virtual and historic General Assembly will not only mark the 75th anniversary of the UN but five years since the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were agreed to by 193 countries.
At the General Assembly, world leaders will come together virtually to discuss challenges that impact our lives. COVID-19 reminds us that global cooperation has never been more important. We must work together to solve all our shared problems – from the pandemic to climate change, inequality, to the technological divide, and many more. The actions and discussions at the UN General Assembly will shape the world we live in.
Now more than ever, in this moment of crisis, and on the fifth anniversary of the SDGs, we need to recommit to the Goals as the pathway forward. They are a vital framework for a recovery from COVID-19 that leads to greener, more inclusive economies, and stronger, more resilient societies. The pandemic is an unprecedented wake-up call, laying bare deep inequalities and exposing precisely the failures addressed in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on climate change. As we approach the General Assembly this September, let’s come together in this time for change, for a profound systemic shift to a more sustainable economy that works for both people and the planet.
Want to get involved? Here are some ideas.
- Educate: Read the SDG Report 2020, which presents an overview of progress towards the SDGs before the pandemic started, as well as looks at some of the devastating initial impacts of COVID-19 on specific Goals and targets.
- Inspire: As we mark the 75th anniversary of the UN, join us and ARTECHOUSE for Voice Our Future, an unprecedented, extended reality (XR) experience exploring the then, now, and next of some of the most critical challenges of our times.
- Take Action: Visit Global Goals Week for ways to get involved in UNGA week, including attending events, advocating for the Global Goals, and much more.
What to expect during UNGA?
We’ve outlined the key moments of UNGA, spanning from mid-September through to early October.
- 9/15-9/17: SDG Media Zone
- 9/18-9/26: Global Goals Week, a shared commitment of partnership between civil society, business, academia and the UN system to accelerate action on the SDGs
- 9/18: SDG moment
- 9/21: High-level meeting to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the UN
- 9/22-9/24: SDG Action Zone
- 9/30: Summit on Biodiversity
- 10/1: High-level meeting on the 25th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women
- 10/2: High-level plenary meeting to commemorate and promote the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons
Events in September:
- 9/10: World Suicide Prevention Day
- 9/15: International Day of Democracy
- 9/16: International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
- 9/17: World Patient Safety Day
- 9/18: International Equal Pay Day
- 9/21: International Day of Peace
- 9/28: International Day for Universal Access to Information
- 9/29: International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste