What We’re Talking About This Month: November 2019
November includes several moments to push for greater action in the fight for equality for girls and women. These include:
- A big summit in Nairobi to accelerate progress on women’s reproductive health and rights;
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women; and
- A major clean cooking forum, which aims to strengthen global and local efforts to support women entrepreneurs and include women throughout the clean cooking value chain, among other topics.
Today, no country in the world is on track to achieve gender equality. Progress toward equality for girls and women isn’t moving fast enough – and in many places, progress has stalled or advances for girls and women have been revoked. Now is the time to step up our efforts on gender equality. It’s the right thing to do, and it is a must-do if we want to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Here are three key points to know:
- Through the Sustainable Development Goals, as well as other international agreements, countries have promised to achieve gender equality. (Learn more about the agreements: the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the Programme of Action adopted at the International Conference on Population and Development.)
- Women’s health and rights are essential to equality, but women have a huge unmet need for contraception. An estimated 214 million girls and women in developing regions want to avoid or delay pregnancy, but are not using modern forms of contraception.
- Girls’ and women’s rights are not a political issue; they are a human rights issue.
Want to get involved? Here are some ideas.
- Educate: Learn more about the barriers facing girls and women in the Journey to Power quiz.
- Motivate: Meet Eva, and get inspired by the activism of teenage girls around the world.
- Activate: Help build momentum in the movement to fulfill women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights. Share why you care with the hashtag #IMarchFor in the lead up to the Nairobi summit.
- Advocate: Send a message to your Member of Congress urging them to work with the UN to support women’s rights.
Events in November:
- 11/2: International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists
- 11/5-11/7: Clean Cooking Forum
- 11/11-11/13: The Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 (the 25th anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development, which recognized reproductive health, women’s empowerment, and gender equality as essential to sustainable development)
- 11/12: World Pneumonia Day
- 11/16: International Day for Tolerance
- 11/17: World Prematurity Day
- 11/18-11/24: World Antibiotic Awareness Week
- 11/19: World Toilet Day
- 11/20: Universal Children’s Day
- 11/25: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women