What We’re Talking About This Month: February 2020
Welcome to the Decade of Action:
2020 officially kicks off the Decade of Action to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)! The Decade of Action calls for accelerating sustainable solutions to the world’s biggest challenges, from poverty and gender inequality, to climate change, and closing the finance gap.
The Decade of Action has three pillars:
- Mobilize everyone, everywhere;
- Demand urgency and ambition; and
- Supercharge ideas to solutions.
This means taking individual and collective action; holding leaders to account; and spotlighting transformative solutions. In this crucial year, the UN Foundation will be rallying with the UN and other partners to deliver the 2030 promise #ForPeopleForPlanet.
Want to get involved? Here are some ideas.
- Educate: This month, the UN is focusing on SDG 11 – making cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. Half of humanity – 3.5 billion people – lives in cities today and 5 billion people are projected to live in cities by 2030. Efficient urban planning and management practices are needed to tackle urbanization challenges, such as shortage of adequate housing, declining infrastructure and rising air pollution.
- Inspire: The UN will mark its 75th anniversary this year and you can get involved by joining the biggest-ever global conversation on the role of global cooperation in building the future we want. UNA-USA is hosting consultations in all 50 states and wants YOU to share your vision for the future. Learn more.
- Take Action: Raise awareness about the Decade of Action for the Global Goals by volunteering in your community and participating in a UN75 Consultation!
Events in February:
- 2/4 – State of the UNA-USA with Executive Director Rachel Bowen Pittman
- 2/6 – International Day Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
- 2/11 – International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- 2/20 – World Day of Social Justice
- 2/25: Human Rights Council Opening (Geneva)
- 2/24 – 2/26: Shot@Life Champion Summit (Washington, D.C.)