What We’re Talking About This Month: July 2020
Celebrating the UN’s 75th anniversary:
At the end of June 1945, in the final months of the Second World War, nations gathered in San Francisco to sign the UN’s founding Charter. It enshrined equality and the dignity of all people at the heart of the UN; those values still guide its work today bringing together nations and people to preserve peace, and improve lives everywhere.
One of the UN’s many achievements has been bringing nations together to adopt the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015, the world’s blueprint for a better future for all. But it’s also true that right now we face unprecedented challenges – from COVID-19 to the climate crisis, to systemic racism and inequality – that make it harder to achieve the SDGs. So, on this historic anniversary, let’s recommit to the vision of the UN Charter – it’s more relevant now than ever.
All this year, the UN wants to hear from you through its UN75 initiative: What is the world you want to see in future and how should we get there? You’ll find the link below, as well as other useful resources – including a cool interactive app!
Here are a few facts and figures highlighting the need for the UN, as well as the world’s largest conversation on the world we want:
- Every year, the UN reaches nearly half of the world’s children with life-saving vaccines.
- Since the UN’s founding, more than 80 human rights treaties have been created, promoting and protecting human rights for all.
- As of March 2020, over 13 million people in nearly all UN Member States had taken part in the UN75 initiative. The top three issues of concern emerging were: climate and the environment, armed conflict/violence, and health risks.
Want to get involved? Here are some ideas.
- Educate: The UN Charter champions human dignity, equality and non-discrimination, and there is no time like the present to review the Charter and listen to the preamble beginning with the unifying opening words of We the Peoples. Be sure to also watch and share this video, created in partnership with GOOD and Upworthy, showcasing how the UN has brought the world together to drive global progress over the past 75 years in areas like health and human rights.
- Inspire: Join the UN Foundation and ARTECHOUSE for Voice Our Future, an unprecedented, extended reality (XR) experience exploring the then, now, and next of some of the most critical challenges of our times.
- Take Action: The UN wants to hear from YOU! Share your vision for the future and what kind of world you want to see by taking the #UN75 survey. Share this with your networks.