Sustainable Development Goals Activity Guide
Want to Give Back to Your Community?
Engaging your UNA-USA chapter in volunteer opportunities can be a great way to get more involved in your community and spread your message! With over 20,000 members and more than 200 chapters across the country, UNA-USA members are united in their commitment to global engagement and their belief that each of us can play a part in advancing the UN’s mission and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Choosing a Volunteer Activity
Take your pick! With 17 SDG’s there is something for everyone! The activities vary in difficulty and planning. Discuss with your UNA-USA chapter what is going to be best for you. Regarding COVID-19 concerns: be sure to follow local guidance on social distancing for your activities. Many of these activities can be done online.
- Call local homeless shelters and ask for a list of items they have need for. Compile the list of sites and supplies into one document to share with your community, and encourage them to drop-off supplies or donate!
- Volunteer at a food pantry.
- Hold a food bank donation drive.
- Encourage your chapter members to sign a pledge to reduce their food waste
Good Health and Well Being
- Host a 5K in your local park. Or join someone else’s.
- Grab a DVD or YouTube video of an inclusive exercise, like yoga. Head over to your local park and have a group work out together!
- See if one of your members is a physical trainer, yoga teacher, or fitness fanatic. Invite them to lead your group in a fun activity outside, make it free for the public.
- Host a book drive.
- Host a virtual book club to discuss a book related to the SDGs. See UNA-USA’s reading list here.
- Volunteer at a women’s shelter.
- Host a gender equality bake sale (e.g. $1.00 per cookie for men, 75 cents for women, 55 cents for LGBTI members, etc.).
Clean Water and Sanitation
- Outdoor clean ups: Go to your local park, schoolyard or near your office and clean up! Or around your school/office
Affordable and Clean Energy
- Lights off campaign: easy as turning off the lights once you leave a room!
Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Support local businesses.
- Promote small business Saturday by spreading awareness about shopping at Black-, woman-, or LGBTI-owned stores to support those in your community and then – go shop!
- Host a discussion at your local library about decent work.
Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Teach Technology literacy for community members.
- Host a meeting for community members where you explain a program that your chapter might be fluent in. Examples include Microsoft Office programs or social media channels.
- Letter writing campaigns are a great way to have people voice their personal stories. Grab some notebook paper and write a letter to your elected officials. Mail your note to members of congress, senators, or even the President of the United States.
- Volunteer with a local organization that supports children and adults with disabilities. Educate your community and chapter on how the UN supports disability rights.
- Go to your local public school and ask to host an SDG event.
Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Host a case competition with your chapter to brainstorm ways that your community could be more sustainable and attend a City Council meeting to present your group’s winning ideas
Responsible Consumption and Production
- Host a recycling day.
- Explain all of the different types of recycling that is available in your community.
- Challenge your members to go zero waste for a day.
- Join a climate strike virtually or in-person
Life Below Water
- Host a beach clean-up event.
- Raise money for beach clean-ups.
Life on Land
- Host an outdoor clean-up event.
- Go hiking and promote the motto: Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos.
Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Attend a mindfulness retreat.
- Take the “Be Fearless, Be Kind” pledge and encourage others to join you. Read the pledge here!
- Encourage people to register to vote online and to complete the census
Partnership for the Goals