Frequently Asked Questions
Must I be a U.S. citizen to apply?
- Yes, this fellowship is open only to U.S. citizens.
Can I apply if I am a Junior?
- While the program seeks to support students in their final year of school or recent graduates, if an applicant is within their junior year, and they have already registered and been confirmed for an internship in their senior year, they may apply.
What requirements does UNA-USA have of each participant?
- Participants must comply with the rules and regulations associated with their internship. Additionally, interns receiving funds from UNA-USA are required to participate in surveys, workshops, publish at least one blog on their experience, and participate in additional UNA-USA fellowship programming, such as career workshops.
What is the maximum amount of the stipend?
- The maximum award is up to $3000 per month, for up to four months, for full time internships; up to $1500 per month, for up to four months, for part time internships.
Can I apply for the fellowship if I have already started my internship?
- No, applicants who have already started their internship with the United Nations are not eligible for this fellowship. We encourage applicants to apply following confirmation of the internship with the UN, and prior to the start date of the internship.
Who is eligible to apply for the UNA-USA Fellowship?
- The UNA-USA Fellowship is open to college students in their final year of undergraduate studies, graduates within one year of graduation, and first year master’s candidates.
Will I be notified when my application is received by your office?
- Yes. We aim to notify each applicant within a minimum of two days.
When will I be notified about the status of my application?
- We aim to notify applicants within one week of submitting the application.
If my internship is longer than four months, how will my stipend be dispensed over the course of my fellowship?
- The UNA-USA Fellowship is awarded based on financial need and only available for up to 4 months.
What qualifies as a UN internship?
- To be eligible for funding under the UNA-USA Fellowship, the applicant must have confirmation of assignment with a recognized UN agency. Please see sample list here and note that the list is not comprehensive.
Is the UNA-USA fellowship hybrid or fully remote?
- Depending on the location of the internship, activities associated with the UNA-USA Fellowship may be remote or hybrid.
Will I have to participate in any in-person workshops, gatherings, or events?
- UNA-USA Fellows living in New York City and Washington, DC will be provided the opportunity to participate in in-person events.